Silicon Sam's Technology Resource
Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted
if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
- This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning.
- There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying.
Table of Contents
This document outlines the installation procedure to create a local browser
accssible copy of Silicon Sam's Technology Resource - the complete set of
Repair and Information Guides that I have authored. It consists of a set of
HTML files and associated schematics, diagrams, and photographs.
Important: all-faqs.zip does not include laserfaq.zip (Sam's Laser FAQ). This
must be downloaded separately. The following assumes a first time install of
- See Home and Mirror Site Locations to identify
a site with a ZIPPED version of SSTR.
- Download all-faqs.zip into a new directory (or the same directory as Sam's
Laser FAQ) and decompress it (unix unzip or DOS PKUNZIP):
- Extract all files: unzip all-faqs
- Extract selected files: unzip (or PKUNZIP) -x all-faqs file1 file2 ...
- Directory of all-faqs: unzip (or PKUNZIP) -v all-faqs
(Answer 'yes' or 'all' to any duplicate file queries.)
The files "faqfil.htm", "cdfaqfil.htm", (and "laserfil.htm" if Sam's Laser
FAQ was downloaded and decompressed) contain a summary of all the HTML,
photos, diagrams, and schematics which constitute this release.
- When "sammenu.htm" is accessed using a Web browser, everything may be
viewed directly. If you want the entry point to be to a short file located
elsewhere, move "faqsam.htm" to the desired dirrectory and modify its links
to point to the directory where you have put all the text and graphics
- Your browser needs to be configured properly to make sense of the
many ASCII diagrams, schematics, and tables. See the document:
Suggested Browser Settings for font and other
- If you are not planning to have Sam's Laser FAQ loaded locally but would
like the laser related links to be live, edit "sammenu.htm" and replace the
text strings: "lasersam.htm", "laserfil.htm", and "laserpic/laesrpic.htm",
with links to files of the same names in the SSTR directory at one of the
sites found in "samsites.htm".
- The file "emaillnk.htm" contains a redirect to email links for the
Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ authors (Sam and Fil), as well as the
general Feedback Form. Edit this file if the location of the email
contacts page should change in the future.
I routinely test all of this on Unix (Sun OS/Solaris), Linux (Redhat),
and Windows (Win98, WinME, Win2000, WinXP) using both Mozilla Firefox and
Internet Explorer. Please let me know if there are any problems.
A set of icons are included for linking to Silicon Sam's Technology Resource
or the full Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ from you own Web pages (sstr.gif or
serfaq.gif, 64 x 64 pixels) and from Windows (sstr.ico or serfaq.ico, 32 x 32
pixels). For example:
- To create a link to SSTR from an existing Web page, use a text or HTML
editor to add the following lines to it:
<li><a href="sammenu.htm">SSTR Main ToC</a> <a href="sammenu.htm">
<img WIDTH=64 HEIGHT=64 src="sstr.gif" alt="SSTR" align=middle
border=0></a> - Comprehensive Repair Guides, FAQs, Testing Info,
Assorted Schematics, etc.
This will add the SSTR icon and create hot links to the SSTR Main Table of
Contents as long as it is in the same directory with an appearance similar
- SSTR Main ToC
- Comprehensive Repair Guides, FAQs, Testing Info,
Assorted Schematics, etc.
Edit as appropriate for
your complete path if located elsewhere or to link to the S.E.R FAQ.
- If you are running Win95 or above (I don't know if this works for Win3.1x),
the .ico format icon files can be used when accessing SSTR or the full S.E.R
FAQ from a folder or the desktop.
To add a link from the Windows desktop directly to the Silicon Sam's
Technology Resource main menu, surf over to your copy of
"sammenu.htm" and press and hold the left mouse button while dragging the
local "Main Menu" or its icon hot link to the desktop. Create a shortcut
there and then edit its properties to use the icon of your choice! (You can
do the same thing with any of the other hot links instead if you do not
intend to maintain a local copy of these documents.)
Back to SSTR Install Table of Contents.
Go (back) to Home and Mirror Site Locations.
-- end V1.56 --